An Italian classic, Zaza's Kitchen style! This recipe is so filling and an excellent dinner choice if you're looking to switch things up. This overall recipe is a series of other recipes, including panko-crusted chicken and marinara sauce. Feel free to use these for your own creations as well. As always, be sure to review this recipe if you cook it. With love, Chef Za
¼ c diced yellow onion
3 cloves garlic, sliced
Handful fresh basil, chiffonade
2 tbsp tomato paste (in a tube preferred)
28 oz crushed San marzano tomatoes (cento brand highly preferred)
½ tsp fennel seed
1 tsp italian seasoning
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
½ sea salt
1 tbsp honey
1 pound thinly sliced chicken breasts, washed and dried
Handful fresh parsley, chopped
2 c panko breadcrumbs
1 c all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil or preferred frying oil
8 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
1 c freshly grated parmesan, divided
1 tsp italian seasoning
3 shallow dishes or large bowls
Fork or whisk
Box grater or microplane
Immersion blender, food processor, or blender
1. Build base for sauce: To begin, place a saucepan on low-medium heat and coat with about 2-3 tbsp olive oil. Add italian seasoning, fennel seeds, and crushed red pepper. Saute for about 1 minute. Next, add diced onion. Sweat onion for about 3 minutes until fragrant, then add sliced garlic. Sweat for another 2 minutes, then add tomato paste. Stir with a wooden spoon until mixture turns a deep red color.
2. Add tomatoes and simmer: Next, add crushed tomatoes, salt, and honey. Lower heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring often. After 20 minutes, taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Next, use immersion blender or transfer sauce to food processor or blender and pulse until marinara is at the desired texture. Finish the sauce by adding fresh basil, and a light drizzle of olive oil.
1. Preheat Oven: Preheat broiler to 500° F
2. Prepare and Season Chicken: To prepare chicken for frying, add flour to a shallow bowl. Season flour with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. In second bowl, add eggs and fresh parsley. Whisk until combined. Finally, add panko bread crumbs, ¾ c parmesan, and italian seasoning to mixture. Stir until combined.
3. Fry Chicken: Place a frying pan on medium heat and fill ⅓ way with frying oil. Once oil is heated, dredge chicken in flour (shake off excess). Next, dip chicken into the egg bath (shake off excess). Ensure that all parts of the chicken are covered then gently place into oil. Fry chicken on each side for about 4 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Repeat process for each chicken breast. Cook in batches so the pan is not overcrowded. After chicken cooks, drain excess oil using paper towels.
4. Assemble and Broil Chicken: To assemble chicken parmesan, place chicken breasts on a casserole dish or baking sheet. Next, spoon about 2 tbsp of marinara on each chicken breast. Next, sprinkle grated parmesan, then top generously with sliced mozzarella. Broil for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted and golden.
5. Serve: Remove from broiler and garnish with parsley. Serve with spaghetti and marinara sauce.