Inspired by one of my guilty pleasures, Panda Express’ orange chicken, this recipe will have you reconsidering why you spent all those coins on take out.... The crispy tofu is perfect alone and elevated to another level with the orange glaze *chef’s kiss*. It is a family-friendly recipe for sure and is best served with jasmine rice and broccoli. Happy cooking!
1 quart size ziploc bag
1 medium bowl
1 block firm tofu
Vegetable oil or preferred frying oil
Microplane or grater
Citrus juicer (optional)
Garlic crusher (optional)
Bamboo spatula or wooden spoon
Crushed red pepper
2 ¼ tsp ginger, grated
2 ¼ tsp garlic, grated
¼ c freshly squeezed orange juice
¼ c white vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
¼ c brown sugar
¼ c white sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
Green onions, sliced (for garnish)
1. Prep and Cut Tofu: Begin by draining water from tofu and gently pressing excess water from tofu block using paper towels. Next, cut tofu into one inch cubes.
2. Marinate Tofu: Place tofu cubes into bowl and add enough liquid aminos to coat all tofu blocks. Place into a ziploc bag and marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
3. Coat Tofu: Once tofu is done marinating, remove from fridge and drain excess liquid aminos. Next, add enough cornstarch to coat all of the tofu cubes and gently shake the bag , ensuring that all tofu is coated.
4. Fry Tofu: Next, fill ⅓ of the pan with frying oil. Once the oil is hot, add tofu (Be sure not to overcrowd the pan) and fry for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Once tofu is fried, drain on a paper towel lined plate.
1. Saute: To begin the glaze, remove most oil from pan, leaving enough oil to saute garlic and ginger, then reduce the pan's heat to medium-low. Begin by adding crushed red pepper flakes to pan. Then, add ginger and garlic and saute for about 2 minutes, until fragrant.
2. Add Liquid and Simmer: Next, add orange juice, brown sugar, and white sugar to pan. Whisk ingredients and allow to simmer for about a minute. Once simmering, whisk in vinegar and soy sauce and let simmer for another minute. Add cornstarch and whisk until glaze thickens.
3. Add Tofu: Finally, add fried tofu to pan and coat with glaze.
4. Serve: Garnish with green onions and serve!